Release Date: April 4, 2016
Expiration Date: December 31, 2021
Chronic illness is a condition that lasts over a long time and typically cannot be completely cured, although it can be managed through medication and lifestyle. Diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, arthritis, HIV/AIDS, and multiple sclerosis are all examples of chronic conditions. Depression in chronic illness decreases a person's quality of life and leads to a greater utilization of healthcare resources.
This course presents clinicians with an integrated view of the biological and psychological contributors to and consequences of chronic illness using a biopsychosocial model. Designed for social workers, mental health counselors, marriage and family therapists, and psychologists, the course examines the prevalence and symptoms of depression as well as selected chronic medical conditions with which depression is often associated. Structured means of assessing depression are also presented. Contributing risk and protective factors to depression and potential treatments are also explored.
Social Workers participating in this course will receive 3 (clinical) continuing education clock hours upon successful course completion.
New York Social Workers - This course does not meet the NY Social Work Board's criteria for acceptable continuing education.
Psychologists will receive 3 CE credits upon successfully completing this course.
- Describe the co-occurrence of depression and chronic illness
- Recognize the symptoms of depression and the challenges of identifying depressive symptoms in individuals with chronic illness
- Identify common causes and contributing risk and protective factors for depression in individuals in medical populations
- Describe treatment approaches for depression in individuals with chronic illness
Alexandra L. Terrill, PhD,
Brandon Abbs, PhD,
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Elite Healthcare ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Elite Healthcare's policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.