About the Course
- Define opioid dependence.
- Understand the diagnosis of opioid dependence.
- Describe opioid withdrawal.
- Understand the history of opioid use in the United States and related legal implications.
- Understand what opioid-dependent populations benefit from methadone and buprenorphine medical management.
- Understand why methadone provides effective medical management for opioid dependence.
- Understand why methadone can be used with pregnant women.
- Understand how buprenorphine is used with opioid dependence.
- Understand different research that validates medical management for opioid dependence.
- Provide treatment information in early recovery with health care and counseling professionals.
About the Author
Kathryn Brohl, LMFT
Kathryn Brohl, LMFT, a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, has worked in for-profit and non-profit social services for over thirty-five years. Author of six books that include two best sellers, and the first book in the U.S. for parents of molested children, Ms. Brohl has lectured and key-noted on trauma-informed care and other work-related topics throughout the US, Canada, and Australia. She has been an administrator, consultant, trainer, private practitioner, and front-line worker, and has been interviewed in national periodicals such as USA Today, Parents' Magazine, Children's Voice, as well as The Washington Post, Miami Herald, and Florida Times-Union. Ms. Brohl has written and implemented several start-up programs during her career, that include a large child welfare system, intensive outpatient, and mental health programs, to name a few.