About the Course
The target audience for this education program is nurses who wish to learn more about the ethical and legal issues that affect nursing practice.
Legal issues in nursing are often controlled at the state level. Ethical issues on the other hand are not so clear and are less defined. This course focuses on many of the ethical issues facing nurses every day as well as legal considerations that may frame the ethical issues of patient care.
- Describe how nursing scope of practice and standards of professional nursing practice govern nursing.
- Explain how state nurse practice acts define and describe nursing practice.
- Describe how the act of delegation is encompassed in the nurse practice act.
- Correlate nursing professional boundaries with appropriate nursing practice.
- Discuss legal implications of nursing practice.
- Explain how codes of professional ethics impact nursing practice.
About the Author
Adrianne Avillion, D.Ed., RN
Adrianne E. Avillion, D.Ed., RN, is an accomplished nursing professional development specialist and healthcare author. She earned her doctoral degree in adult education and her M.S. in nursing from Penn State University and a BSN from Bloomsburg University. Dr. Avillion has held a variety of nursing positions as a staff nurse in critical care and physical medicine and rehabilitation settings with emphasis on neurological and mental health nursing as well as a number of leadership roles in nursing professional development. She has published extensively and is a frequent presenter at conferences and conventions devoted to the specialty of continuing education and nursing professional development. Dr. Avillion owns and is the CEO of Strategic Nursing Professional Development, a business that specializes in continuing education for healthcare professionals and consulting services in nursing professional development. Her most recent publications include The Path to Stress-Free Nursing Professional Development: 50 No-Nonsense Solutions to Everyday Challenges and Nursing Professional Development: A Practical Guide for Evidence-Based Education.