About the Course
Target Audience: The target audience for this education program is nurses who want to enhance their ability to assess cognitive functioning of the older adult and intervene appropriately based on their assessment findings.
Course Overview: Most nurses in the acute care setting (and other settings) have likely provided care for an older adult suffering from elderly mistreatment without knowing. In this course, elderly mistreatment is presented including types of mistreatment, assessment, risk factors that make vulnerable adults at risk for mistreatment, reporting, and important aspects of care.
- Discuss demographics related to elder mistreatment.
- Identify the types of elder mistreatment.
- Describe theories of elder mistreatment.
- Identify risk factors that make older adults vulnerable for mistreatment.
- Provide a framework for assessing, identifying, reporting, and managing cases of EM.
About the Author
Billy A. Caceres, PhD, MSN, RN-BC, AGPCNP-BC is from the New York University College of Nursing, New York, New York.
Terry Fulmer, PhD, RN, FAAN is the President of John A. Hartford, Foundation, New York, New York.
Find Geriatric Special Topics: Mistreatment Detection in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington DC
- West Virginia