- Discuss the characteristics of varicella zoster virus, including primary infection and secondary reactivation of the latent virus.
- Identify complications of herpes zoster infection.
- Explain treatment initiatives for herpes zoster infection.
- Describe the efficacy, contraindications and precautions, adverse reactions, and administration of Zostavax.
- Discuss the efficacy, contraindications and precautions, adverse reactions, and administration of Shingrix.
- Explain the recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) for the use of shingles vaccinations.