About the Course
Audience: This course meets the requirements for Nevada advanced practice nurses and all nurses responsible for the safe and effective prescribing practices for controlled substances.
- Describe key components of recent Nevada legislation that affect prescribing of controlled substances.
- Describe the concepts of prescription drug abuse, misuse, addiction, and diversion, including their recognition, risk factors, and prevention.
- Explain the laws pertaining to the prescribing of controlled substances, including the medication schedules, prescription-filling rules, and registration requirements.
- Discuss the treatment of pain, including evaluation, treatment, and medications used.
- Describe steps to ensure safe and effective prescribing of controlled substances, including professional documentation, patient–provider agreements, and informed consent.
About the Author
Katie Ingersoll, PharmD, Registered Pharmacist