About the Course
After the pharmacist has concluded this knowledge-based activity, he or she will be qualified and able to:
- Understand the role of the Drug Enforcement Administration in regulating the use of controlled substances.
- Appreciate the importance of a controlled system of distribution to best manage transactions involving controlled substances.
- Develop a general understanding of how to schedule controlled substances.
- Become familiar with the appropriate DEA forms needed to document the transaction of controlled substances.
- Describe the requirements of both electronic and paper-based controlled substance record keeping systems.
- Understand the requirements for inventorying controlled substances.
- Understand that there are requirements for Internet pharmacies dispensing controlled substances that are unique and apart from those needed to dispense non-controlled substances.
About the Author
Brad Gillespie, PharmD who has over 20 years' experience spanning the regulatory, pharmaceutical biotech and human nutritional supplement industries.
Author Disclosure: Bradley Gillespie and Elite Professional Education do not have any actual or potential conflicts of interest in relation to this lesson.
Find Pharmacist Responsibilities in the Management of Controlled Substances in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington DC
- West Virginia