- Define pain in general terms.
- Recognize the individuality of pain and its perception.
- Distinguish between different sources and types of pain.
- Recognize the extent of the pain problem and its cost to society.
- Adopt a general understanding of the pain signaling process.
- Be familiar with the main sources of pain experienced by patients.
- Be familiar with the various treatment options available to combat pain, including potential indications and side effects for each.
- Become aware of the use of acupuncture and how it may be integrated into an individualized pain-management strategy.