About CourseRelease Date: May 23, 2016
Expiration Date: May 23, 2021
Clinicians must be prepared to approach discussions of sexual health in a professional, open, knowledgeable, and appropriate manner that allows clients to discuss their concerns without fear of shame or disapproval. However, research indicates that the majority of mental health providers do not receive any training in sexual health assessment or treatment.
The course provides information on sexual behaviors in children and adolescents and, in a useful chart format, differentiates behaviors that are normative from behaviors that are concerning. Clinical practices are discussed, such as determining conditions for treatment and gathering sexual health information. Sexual health diagnoses such as sexual abuse, gender dysphoria, sexual addiction and compulsions, and paraphilias are described. This course is designed for social workers, marriage and family therapists, mental health counselors, and other health specialists who seek to better assist clients with sexual health issues.
Social Workers completing this course receive 3 clinical social work continuing education credits.
New Jersey Social Workers - Sexual Health Counseling, 2nd Edition, Course #2960, is approved by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program to be offered by Elite Professional Education, LLC. as an individual course. Individual courses, not providers, are approved at the course level. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. ACE course approval period: 03/17/2020 - 03/17/2022. Social workers completing this course receive 3 Clinical Practice continuing education credits.
- Define sexual health and related terminology.
- Describe theoretical perspectives of sexual health.
- Differentiate sexual development at various life stages.
- Identify ways for clinicians to address and assess clients' sexual health.
- Explain sexual health diagnoses and sex therapy treatments.
About the Author(s)
Elizabeth B. Russell, PhD, LCSW, is currently an assistant professor in the Department of Social Work at Nazareth College in Pittsford, New York, where she teaches courses on mental health practice and research. She received a doctorate of philosophy from the University of Rochester, New York; a master of social work degree from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; and a bachelor of science degree in human development and family studies from Cornell University.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Elite Healthcare ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Elite Healthcare's policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
Find Sexual Health Counseling, 2nd Edition in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington DC
- West Virginia