About CourseRelease Date: July 23,2018
Expiration Date: July 25, 2023
The Child Mind Institute (2015) reports that nearly 50% of children in the United States meet criteria for a mental health disorder, yet only 7.4% will receive mental health treatment - which could be due, in part, to a lack of training, knowledge, and experience in therapists on how to work with young children. Nonetheless, children suffering the effects of trauma, anxiety, and depression show up regularly in clinical spaces throughout this country. This basic-level course describes the therapeutic and developmental value of play and the two predominant models of treatment: child-centered play therapy and cognitive behavioral play therapy.
Social Workers completing this course receive 2 clinical social work continuing education credits.
Psychologists will receive 2 CE credits upon successfully completing this course.
- Recognize the developmental functions and therapeutic value of play.
- Describe the theory and practice of child-centered play therapy.
- Describe the theory and practice of cognitive behavioral play therapy.
- Explain multicultural issues in play therapy.
- Answer common questions clinicians have about conducting play therapy.
About the Author
Stephen Demanchick, PhD, LMHC, RPT, is an associate professor of art therapy at Nazareth College and director of the Play Therapy Center in the Creative Arts Therapy Department in New York. Dr. Demanchick's clinical and research interests include play therapy, filial therapy, school-based prevention, and clinical supervision. He is the editor for the International Journal of Play Therapy and was appointed to coedit The Person-Centered Journal. He was awarded the American Association for Play Therapy Service Award for 2011. Dr. Demanchick has published several book chapters, articles, and book reviews on the topic of play therapy.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Elite Healthcare ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Elite Healthcare's policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
Find The Essentials of Play Therapy, 1st Edition in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington DC
- West Virginia