If you haven’t heard, Instagram has taken over social media. According to TechCrunch, Instagram now has 300 million daily active users. People are using Instagram over Facebook because a picture is worth a thousand words. Your clients would rather see visuals than read an overload of information. So, what does that mean for your business? Free advertising! Instagram is a great platform to show off your skills and market to clients in an organic way. Here’s what you need to know to be an Instagram success.
- Take quality photos. Use good lighting when taking pictures of your work, and filters that make your images pop. Use a photo collage maker app to create before and after photos, which allows you to instantly place photos side by side.
- Have a good biography. Create a quick bio on the top of your page with a short description of what your business provides and where you are located. Keep it simple, short and sweet!
- Link your bio. Have a direct link to the page you want clients to see immediately when they click on that link. Do you want the link to take them directly to your scheduling page? Or perhaps your services menu? Select the page from your website that will entice potential clients to schedule an appointment with you.
- Add friends. The key to Instagram is followers. Followers are people that have subscribed to follow your page. This is important when marketing—the more followers you have, the more people who will see your work.
- Avoid personal photos. Your salon Instagram account should be focused on your business only. Keep the food photos to your personal page and fill your salon’s feed with before and after photos, updos, creative manicures, and even action shots of yourself working.
- Use trending hashtags. Hashtags are keywords people use as a search tool. If you type in “volumelashextenstions” you’ll see hundreds of eyelash extension photos. Hashtags are a great way to bring attention to a specific service. Write up a brief description for each photo and be sure to use appropriate hashtags.
- Cross promote. Did your client just take a selfie of that gorgeous color you did? Ask them to tag you in it, then the photo will come up on your page and your clients will see your amazing work.
- Create a fun video. Create a “how-to” video showing clients the services you offer. There are plenty of apps you can download to create fun and whimsy videos.
If you’re not using Instagram, you ought to be! It’s a free, easy marketing tool to attract new clients, as well as a fun way for your current clients to stay connected with new happenings at your salon.