IASTM – Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization – Soft Tissue Manual Tool: Two-Day Certification
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Universal techniques that can be used with the majority of tools
- Multiple IASTM Tool options provided at the seminar for practice
- Utilize biomechanics & neuroscience to develop evidence-informed treatment strategies
- Lab-based seminar with hands-on coursework throughout both days
Introducing the Soft Tissue Manual Tool (STMT) series, the Medical Minds in Motion Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) Certification. In today’s rehabilitation environment, knowing how to safely and effectively utilize IASTM tools is essential. With so many IASTM tool options available in the market, wading through the sea of choices in order to find the tool that will work best for you is daunting. Our certification program is unique, as it provides hands-on experience with multiple tool options in order to allow you to choose which tool or set of tools is the best fit for you. The certification consists of 3 hours of online content, which is a prerequisite to the 13-hour live hands-on lab course. The online portion takes an in-depth look at the history and physiology of IASTM, movement principles and kinesiology taping, as well as fundamentals of each technique in order to develop a foundational understanding to prepare you for the live course.
Taking a best practice approach, the STMT certification utilizes universal assessment and treatment strategies that can be applied with any IASTM tool. During the 13 hour hands-on lab portion, you will develop a clear understanding of the mechanical principles of increased tissue perfusion, the localized inflammatory response and speed of tissue healing. A strong emphasis will be placed on the neurophysiological principles of “less is more”, decreasing tone, decreasing threat and stimulation of mechanoreceptors to assist with improving movement. In addition, you will explore and discuss various corrective exercises and kinesiology taping strategies for continued positive outcomes provided by IASTM. Extensive practice during the live portion will allow you to develop a knowledge base for clinical decision making and implementation. Emphasizing cervical mobility, shoulder mobility, thoracic rotation, spinal flexion, knee flexion and many more, you will develop dynamic treatment options to progress your patients to the ultimate goal of functional movement with lasting outcomes.
ONLINE COURSE AGENDA
- Introduction and History of Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (30 Minutes)
- Physiological Responses of IASTM (30 Minutes)
- Tool Options (15 Minutes)
- Safety (15 Minutes)
- Fundamentals of IASTM (30 Minutes)
- Fundamentals of Kinesiology Taping (30 Minutes)
- Principles of Movement Assessments and Corrective Exercise Strategies (30 Minutes)
David A Doyle, MS, PT, STMT-1
David is an orthopedic Physical Therapist and owner of Connecticut’s Spectrum Physical Therapy, which Specialized in sports medicine, spine and other orthopedic specialties. In addition to a range of clinical experience. David has also served as the US Olympic Women’s Rowing Team’s PT consultant. He has a Bachelor’s and a Master’s in Physical Therapy from Springfield College and is a member of the APTA.
Jamie Bovay DPT, MTC, CSCS, STMT-1
Jamie graduated with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy from Rockhurst University in Kansas City, Missouri. He has worked with athletes at all levels including professionals, Olympians, weekend warriors, kids and everything in between. He uses a combination of manual therapy, joint manipulation, dry needling, instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization, taping, corrective exercises and other techniques to get his patients better as quickly as possible
Paul E Colosky PT, ATC, STMT-1
Paul earned his Master’s of Physical Therapy degree at the University of Texas and completed both undergraduate and graduate degrees in Exercise and Sport Science with a Sports Medicine Concentration at Colorado State University (CSU). His specialties include Sports Medicine, IASTM, Injury Prevention, Orthopedic Rehab, Shoulder, Knee and Spine Rehab, Kinesiology Taping, Intramuscular Stimulation and Trigger Point Dry Needling (TDN).
Rick Daigle, PT, DPT, STMT-1
Rick is an APTA Credentialed Clinical Instructor, Founder of Medical Minds In Motion, LLC™, and an active member of the APTA. His clinical expertise is focused around a manual & movement based model where he can utilize such philosophies as the SFMA, Dry Needling, IASTM and a host of others. Rick created MMIM with the desire and passion to help improve the rehabilitation world by providing high-quality learning experiences at an affordable price. A native of Northern Maine, Dr. Daigle is a graduate of Simmons College in Boston.
- Demonstrate safe techniques for implementing IASTM with multiple populations.
- Utilize movement assessments to determine appropriate soft tissue limitations appropriate for IASTM.
- Explain the rationale behind IASTM by comparing mechanical vs neurological responses using the most current literature.
- Implement IASTM into a comprehensive treatment program for optimal patient outcomes.
- Discuss the rationale for patient positioning and when to treat the targeted tissues loaded vs unloaded and active vs. passive.
- Differentiate appropriate taping methods based on a patient’s injury, dysfunction, and/or limited function.
- Demonstrate competent rationale for IASTM treatment progressions by combining clear assessments with an EBP approach to care.
- Complete a skill check off/rubric at the end of the seminar demonstrating safety and competency with an assessment, tool technique, taping strategy, and an appropriate corrective exercise.
- Complete both the 3-hour online prerequisite and the 13 hour live hands-on components
- Pass an online test covering the prerequisite material with a score of 80% or greater, prior to the live seminar
- Pass a safety and skill exam administered by the course instructor
This is a certification course. Individuals who successfully complete all required elements of the course will be certified as a STMT-1 Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization practitioner. This course contains intermediate level content and is not intended for use by participants outside the scope of their license or regulation.
$599 (price per student)
LIVE COURSE AGENDA
DAY 1: 8:00am – 4:00pm | DAY 2: 8:00am – 4:00pm
*Each section will include: Assessments – Demos – Lab Practice – Taping Strategies
REVIEW OF ONLINE CONTENT (8:00am-8:30am)
- 10 Key Points
CERVICAL SPINE TECHNIQUES (8:30am-9:30am)
- Upper Trapezius
- Levator Scap
- Cervical Paraspinals
- CT Junction
TMJ TECHNIQUES (9:30am-10:15am)
ANTERIOR SHOULDER GIRDLE TECHNIQUES (10:30am-11:30am)
- Anterior Deltoid
- Junctional Zones
- Lateral Deltoid
POSTERIOR SHOULDER GIRDLE TECHNIQUES (12:30pm-1:30pm)
- Teres Major/Minor
- Posterior Deltoid
- Junctional Zones
ELBOW TECHNIQUES (1:30pm-2:30pm)
- Improving Elbow Flexion/Extension
FOREARM/WRIST/HAND TECHNIQUES (2:45pm-3:45pm)
- Common Extensor/Flexor
- Carpal Tunnel
- Junctional Zones
- Improving Supination/pronation
TYING DAY 1 TOGETHER (3:45pm-4:00pm)
HIP TECHNIQUES (8:00am-9:00am)
- Lateral Hip: ITB/TFL
- Psoas/Rectus Femoris
KNEE TECHNIQUES (9:00am-10:00am)
- Quads: Improving Knee Flexion
- HS: Improving Knee Extension
- Patellar Mobility
- Patellar Tendonitis Protocol
LOWER LEG/ANKLE TECHNIQUES (10:15am-11:15am)
- Anterior Tibialis
- Posterior Tibialis
FOOT TECHNIQUES (11:15am-12:00pm)
- Plantar Fascia
- Great Toe/FHL
THORACIC SPINE TECHNIQUES (1:00pm-1:45pm)
- Thoracic Paraspinals
- Latissimus Dorsi
LUMBAR SPINE TECHNIQUES (1:45pm-2:30pm)
- Lumbar Paraspinals
- Quadratus Lumborum
- Thoracolumbar Fascia
FINAL LAB PRACTICE/REVIEW/PRACTICAL EXAM (2:45pm-3:45pm)
- Review of Methodology
- Lab Practice
- Skills Check/Lab Examination
Instructor will break 15 minutes in the morning and afternoon as well as 1 hour for lunch
REGISTER FOR A LIVE CERTIFICATION COURSE NEAR YOU
|register Now||City||State||Start Date||End Date||Instructor|
|Register Now||Fort Myers||FL||7/20/19||7/21/19||Dave Doyle|
|Register Now||Topeka||KS||7/27/19||7/28/19||Paul Colosky|
|Register Now||West Palm Beach||FL||8/3/19||8/4/19||Paul Colosky|
|Register Now||Jacksonville||FL||8/16/19||8/17/19||Rick Daigle|
|Register Now||Newark||NJ||8/17/19||8/18/19||Dave Doyle|
|Register Now||Tampa||FL||8/24/19||8/25/19||Paul Colosky|
|Register Now||Oklahoma City||OK||9/7/19||9/8/19||Paul Colosky|
|Register Now||Melbourne||FL||9/7/19||9/8/19||Dave Doyle|
|Register Now||Toms River||NJ||9/20/19||9/21/19||Rick Daigle|
|Register Now||Tulsa||OK||9/28/19||9/29/19||Paul Colosky|
|Register Now||Coral Springs||FL||10/5/19||10/6/19||Dave Doyle|
|Register Now||Baton Rouge||LA||10/12/19||10/13/19||Paul Colosky|
|Register Now||San Jose||CA||10/12/19||10/13/19||Jamie Bovay|
|Register Now||Gainesville||FL||11/2/19||11/3/19||Dave Doyle|
|Register Now||Overland Park||KS||11/9/19||11/10/19||Paul Colosky|
|Register Now||Santa Rosa||CA||11/16/19||11/17/19||Jamie Bovay|
|Register Now||Sacramento||CA||11/30/19||12/1/19||Jamie Bovay|
|Register Now||Baltimore||MD||12/6/19||12/7/19||Rick Daigle|
|Register Now||Atlantic City||NJ||12/7/19||12/8/19||Dave Doyle|
|Register Now||Austin||TX||12/7/19||12/8/19||Paul Colosky|