It is essential that clinicians are prepared to discuss psychotropic medications with their clients. Many clinicians have not received appropriate training in this area and problems may arise when a clinician fails to refer a client for a medication evaluation or to address concerns clients may have such as worries about side effects. Clinicians with knowledge of psychotropic medications are a great asset to clients. This intermediate-level course provides information pertaining to psychotropic medications, tools to address client concerns and attitudes toward psychotropic medications, and clinical guidance to support client efforts to effectively discuss psychotropic medications with their prescribers.
Social Workers participating in this course will receive 3 (clinical) continuing education clock hours upon successful course completion.
Psychologists will receive 3 CE credits upon successfully completing this course.
- Recognize clinicians' roles, ethical limitations, and the importance of referral procedures in terms of psychotropic medication.
- Describe basic principles of pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics.
- Identify appropriate psychotropic medications for specific mental health diagnoses.
- Explain treatment alternatives to psychotropic medications.
About the Author
Sabina R. de Vries, PhD, NCC, LPC-S, is an assistant professor at Texas AandM University - San Antonio. She received her bachelor's degree in psychology, master's degree in community counseling, and doctorate in counselor education and supervision from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Dr. de Vries is a licensed professional counselor (LPC), LPC supervisor, and a national certified counselor.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Elite Healthcare ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Elite Healthcare's policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- bvseo_sdk, p_sdk, 3.2.0
- CLOUD, getContent, 124.63ms
- REVIEWS, PRODUCT
- bvseo-msg: HTTP status code of 404 was returned;